A Classic Star-Studded Evening!

Saturday July 16, 7pm:

Another Classic

SilentMovieNightHeader

With Live Piano Accompaniment!

Enjoy a Star-Studded Evening

with

Charlie Chaplin

and

Lilian & Dorothy Gish!

Our Double Play begins with the classic comedy short:

laughingGas8
Charlie Chaplin plays a dental assistant. What could go wrong?

Laughing Gas is a 1914 film starring Charlie Chaplin. The film is also known as Busy Little Dentist, Down and Out, Laffing Gas, The Dentist, and Tuning His Ivories.

Directed by: Charlie Chaplin
Produced by: Mack Sennett
Starring: Charles Chaplin
Cinematography: Frank D. Williams
Released in: 1914

Next, history’s sweeping drama comes alive in this powerful epic film:

Orphans

Directed by the Legendary

D.W. Griffith

“Orphans of the Storm” (United Artists, 1921), directed by D.W. Griffith, is a grand scale silent melodrama with the central characters being two young sisters (Lillian and Dorothy Gish) caught up in the turmoil of the French Revolution, encountering misery and love along the way.

Much of the film’s success is due to the remarkable acting of the Gish Sisters. Acclaimed for her comedic talents, Dorothy here gives an almost completely serious performance, portraying a blind girl cruelly separated from her beloved sister and forced to beg in the streets. Lillian, her classic face mirroring a myriad of emotions, plays the sibling persecuted by both lecherous aristocrats and rapacious revolutionaries. The scene in which Lillian, in an upper chamber, hears Dorothy singing in the alley below but is unable to reach her, is almost unbearable in its emotional intensity.

 

Live piano accompaniment by John Read!

Pre-movie narration by Liisa Niemi dressed as a flapper

Tickets Only $5!

Available in advance at

Sandwich Town Hall, 130 Main Street
and
Splash Stationers, 126 Rte. 6A, Sandwich

Tickets will be sold on the date of the performances/events beginning one hour before the start time. We offer no senior or student discounts with the one exception of a child centered performance. Our facility is fully accessible but we do not have hearing enhancement technology. There is no reserved seating.

For more information email: season@sandwichtownhall.org or call: 508-776-3256 


The Sandwich Town Hall Silent Film Series

By Anthony Basile, WickedLocal.com & Jonathan Shaw (edited)

In 1915 or a little later silent movies began to be shown in the Town Hall and a piano, an upright in the Mission style made by Jacob Doll & Sons for the Frederick Piano Company, was acquired by the town.  It was played by local residents, Minne Bunker Wimmer, Eva May Harlow, and Mary Haines Morrow, to accompany the silent movies.

The hall’s past as a silent movie venue lives on as the original piano is still in use.  The accompaniment is by Yarmouth resident John Read, an experienced pianist and organist who plays without sheet music.

“I grew up when soap operas had live organ music and memorized the theme songs and styles of the various organists on the shows,” Read said. “At the same time I learned thousands of popular songs. This combination comes in handy when I accompany silent movies in that I can draw upon songs that fit the action, as well as appropriate mood music.”

The shows begin with an introduction to place the classic films in their historical context. Liisa Niemi is an IBM manager by day but in her free time she collects antiques and curios from the 1920s. Drawing on her knowledge of the period, Niemi regularly introduces silent films soundtracked by Read. To add authenticity to her presentation, Niemi wears the clothes of a Twenties flapper.

The plan to bring the town hall back to its movie house past began with Town Hall Preservation Trust member Jonathan Shaw. Upon seeing Read and Niemi’s silent movie showcase, Shaw brought the idea back to the organization, who selected it as a companion to the restored building’s annual event, an old time radio radio-styled variety show.

Between the variety show and the silent film, the town hall has played host to vintage entertainment since its re-opening. The shows’ tickets serve as a source of funds for the continued upkeep of the space. The focus on old-fashioned events draws attention to the building’s history, which stretches back to 1834. The latest renovations brought the building up to date as a community venue while keeping its interior consistent with its original design.

The Silent Film Series is now in its fourth season.

You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown

CharlieBrownPoster600

Friday, Saturday June 17, 18, 7pm

 Sunday June 19, 4pm:

youre-a-good-man-charlie-brown

The classic Charles Schulz family fun musical.

We are pleased to announce our fabulous cast:
Charlie Brown –Woody Mitchell
Lucy- Kim Mitchell
Linus-Brian Berestecky
Schroeder- Bobby Genereau
Patty- Lisa Rudy 
Snoopy- Janet Moore

sthLogo208

Produced by the Sandwich Town Hall Preservation Trust

Tickets $15

Sandwich Town Hall is at 130 Main Street, Sandwich, MA 02563

Map & Directions

Tickets will be sold in advance for Glass Town Stage performances and events at:
Sandwich Town Hall, 130 Main Street
and
Splash Stationers, 126 Rte. 6A, Sandwich

Tickets will be sold on the date of the performances/events beginning one hour before the start time. We offer no senior or student discounts with the one exception of a child centered performance. Our facility is fully accessible but we do not have hearing enhancement technology. There is no reserved seating.

For more information email: season@sandwichtownhall.org or call: 508-776-3256 

Ten Men of Saugus Plaque Back in Town Hall

10MenSign
(photo credit: Kathy Coggeshall)

After being in storage for an unknown number of years the plaque commemorating the founders of Sandwich, the “Ten Men of Saugus,” is now back up in Town Hall. It graces the second floor landing just outside the door to the main meeting hall.

In a note posted on the Historical Commission website, J. Dillingham wrote: “Where is the red sign with the founding fathers? It is important to have THAT sign in city [sic] hall. Where would the town be without them? We HAVE the sign. Put it up.”

Former Historical Commission member Don Bayley determined that indeed the plaque did hang in Town Hall in the past.

10MenSigninOffice

He found this photo on the internet. Note the caption: “This Plaque of The Ten Men from Saugus, who were the Founders of Sandwich, is on the wall of the Selectmans’s office in City Hall, Town of Sandwich, Massachusetts.” (It looks like the Selectmen had an office with a brick wall back then.)

Don then found the actual plaque in storage at the Deacon-Eldred Building (AKA Sand Hill School). He notified the Historical Commission and member Bill Daley was  instrumental in getting Ted Hamilton from the town to get the plaque out of storage and to re-hang it.

We thank Bill Daley and Ted Hamilton for their work and we thank Mr. Dillingham for making us aware that it was indeed missing.

All of this has spurred this writer to do a bit more research on the Ten Men. Who exactly were they? When did they found Sandwich and why?

For starters, the public record of the Plymouth Court dated April 3, 1637 states:
“it is agreed by the Court that these ten men of Saugus, viz., Edmund Freeman, Henry Feake, Thomas Dexter, Edward Dillingham, William Wood, John Carman, Richard Chadwell, William Almy, Thomas Tupper, and George Knott shall have liberty to view a place to sit down, and have sufficient lands for threescore families, upon the conditions propounded to them by the governor and Mr. Winslow.”

Note that at the time Saugus (today’s Lynn) was part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony; Cape Cod was part of the Plymouth Colony.

In History of Barnstable County, edited by Simeon Deyo, we find this:
“Historians assert, that religious considerations led the ten Saugus (Lynn) pioneers to seek this first plantation of the Cape. (This also confirms that Sandwich was the first English settlement on the Cape.)

What were these “religious considerations?” Why were the Ten Men not happy in Saugus?

We get some clues from Vincent Virga and Dan Spinella in Massachusetts: Mapping the Bay State Through History:
“While the Pilgrims (in Plymouth Colony) were occupied with the problems of survival, the better organized and provisioned Puritans who founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony came with a mission, to establish their own shining ‘citty [sic] upon a Hill,’ free of the sin and corruption of the land and society they were leaving. They moved quickly to establish their political and religious – and eventually, geographical – authority, with confidence based on their religious faith and the later economic success that they took as a sign of divine consent.”

Historian Rebecca Beatrice Brooks adds this:
“Religion and government were deeply intertwined in the Massachusetts Bay Colony and only the most devout Puritans could participate in governmental affairs, according to the book Politics and Religion in the United States:
“While everyone in the community was a member of a congregation and was expected to attend services and support the church, only those who went through the arduous process of demonstrating their spiritual regeneration could become full-covenant members, thus gaining a say in both ecclesiastical and secular government. The civil government had authority over everyone in the community, but was controlled by the minority of the population that had achieved full church membership.”

And so this is most likely why our Ten Men wanted out.

“Whatever their motives, after deliberation they concluded that the Plymouth colony could be no more stringent than the Massachusetts, nor present more obstacles to their aspirations; so they sought and obtained permission from the colony of Plymouth to locate a plantation at Shaume, now Sandwich.” (History of Barnstable County)

“The settlement at Sandwich was projected by Mr. Edmund Freeman and others who, April 3 of this year, obtained a grant from the Colony of Plymouth and at once with a large number of families from Lynn, Duxbury and Plymouth but chiefly from Lynn, the ancient Saugus, removed to the location designated. The settlement was begun this year under very favorable auspices although it was not regularly incorporated as a town until about two years after.” (Frederick Freeman, History of Cape Cod: The Annals of Barnstable County)

Who were the Ten Men? Read about them here:

Edmund Freeman

Edward Dillingham

Thomas Tupper

Thomas Dexter

and HERE