An Early View

Drawing by John Warner Barber, about 1837

Drawing by John Warner Barber, about 1837

A John Warner Barber drawing from about 1837: Town Hall, built in 1834, is prominently displayed.  From Sandwich historian Russell Lovell: “This is the only view found showing the early Calvinistic chapel on the site of the present First Church of Christ (the ‘Elvis’ Church). The smaller buildings in the left foreground are a blacksmith shop, the building that was moved to become (part of) the glass museum and lastly the shop that became the Fred Bunker museum (now gone). At left rear is the Unitarian Church with the Titus Winchester clock and in the distance the two stacks of the Glass Factory casting their prosperous pall of black smoke.”